By Admin |
March 03/3/2025
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth has directed the U.S. Cyber Command to cease offensive cyber attacks and information warfare against Russia, this was disclosed by a U.S. official familiar with the decision.
The order was issued in late February to Air Force Gen. Tim Haugh, the commander of U.S. Cyber Command, and remains in effect for an unspecified duration.
A spokesperson for the Department of Defense emphasized the Secretary’s commitment to safeguarding American military personnel across all operational domains, including cyberspace.
“There is no greater priority to Secretary Hegseth than the safety of the Warfighter in all operations, including the cyber domain,” the spokesperson stated.
However, the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA), which operates under the Department of Homeland Security, clarified that its defensive posture remains unchanged.
“Our mission is to defend against all cyber threats to U.S. Critical Infrastructure, including from Russia. There has been no change in our posture,” CISA said.
Neither the United States Cyber Command nor the Russian Embassy responded immediately to requests for comment.
The decision to pause cyber operations comes as President Donald Trump takes steps to restore diplomatic engagement with Russia.
His administration has recently pursued efforts to re-establish embassy staffing and initiate peace talks to bring an end to the war in Ukraine.
Last month, U.S. officials met with Russian negotiators in Saudi Arabia in a bid to advance negotiations.
However, tensions flared on Friday during an Oval Office meeting between President Trump, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, and Vice President JD Vance.
According to sources, the meeting ended in a dead end after President Trump criticized Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskyy for his ongoing public condemnations of Russian President Vladimir Putin.
“He’s got to say, ‘I want to make peace,’ President Trump remarked to reporters before leaving the White House. “He doesn’t have to stand there and say ‘Putin this, Putin that,’ all negative things. He’s got to say, ‘I want to make peace. I don’t want to fight a war any longer.’”
The deadlock reportedly delayed the finalization of a proposed agreement that would grant the United States a significant stake in Ukraine’s rare-earth mineral resources, which are critical to the production of advanced technologies.
The administration’s decision to halt offensive cyber operations against Russia has drawn sharp criticism from congressional leaders, particularly Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer.
He said, “Donald Trump is so desperate to earn the affection of a thug like Vladimir Putin that he appears to be giving him a free pass as Russia continues to launch cyber operations and ransomware attacks against critical American infrastructure, threatening our economic and national security,” Schumer said on Sunday. “It is a critical strategic mistake for Donald Trump to unilaterally disarm Putin.”
Senator Schumer’s remarks highlight growing concerns among lawmakers that the pause in cyber operations could weaken U.S. defenses against Russian cyber threats.
The Biden administration had previously labeled Russia “an enduring global cyber threat,” citing cyberattacks on the United States government agencies, think tanks, and other critical sectors, such as energy and aviation, allegedly orchestrated by the Russian Foreign Intelligence Service.
As the administration balances diplomatic efforts with national security concerns, the future of U.S. cyber strategy against Russia remains uncertain.